Yoric came up with an awesome design that ended up being very economical. The pallets were free and we had quite a bit of old roofing that we've been collecting for the farm. The plastic sheet for the roof was about $50, which was the largest expense. It will allow for natural sunlight to get through to keep the chicks warm and to help sterilize the floor. We may need to throw a shade cloth on one end when it gets too hot. On the inside, we used 2 ft chicken wire to keep them from going inside the pallets.
These broilers are about 3 1/2 wks old, and we put them in here to test out the structure and see how they like it. They seemed really happy, so response was good. We should be able to raise batches of up to 300 chicks in here until they are 2 wks old and we put them out on pasture at the farm.